It has been an interesting day. My work day flew by and I was barely able to accomplish all of my necessary tasks. Thankfully, it was Forced Office Fun day and I got to spend some of the evening have a couple of drinks with a few of my favorite co-workers.
In case you were wondering, Defeater managed to get their van fixed and it looks like they will be making it up to Toronto.
Anyway, more to the whole title of this post. I hate sponges. They’re dirty, disgusting things that most people do not treat with the proper care. I saw a sponge sitting in the sink at work today and thought to myself, I want to write about this. I got home and did dishes for a half an hour and decided I was definitely writing a post about it.
The kitchen sponge is the most disgusting thing in your house. Seriously. Tens of millions of bacteria live and breed inside your sponge, no matter how much you think you’ve rinsed and wrung it out. So if you clean every surface in your house, or even just in your kitchen, with your sponge, you are leaving behind including E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus and many, many more kinds of bacteria.
You know it is there because of the way the sponge smells. Just think about the smell makes me shudder.
Above is a photo of how a sponge should be stored. Out of the sink, sponge side up. I realize that many sponge manufacturers try to confuse you by putting a pretty design on the rough side of the sponge, but trust me, you don’t want to leave the rough side up. Why? The rough side does not allow water to evaporate from the sponge which causes molding and bacteria growth.
Or what I am going to refer to as “Triple S:” Smelly Sponge Syndrome.
Other things that cause a sponge to get Triple S:
- Not wringing it out and putting it rough side up
- Leaving it rough side up in the sink
- Leaving it sponge side up in the sink or in a bowl of dirty food water
What can you do to avoid your sponge coming down with Triple S? Microwave it for one minute a day (which kills 99.9 percent of bacteria) or run it through a dishwasher cycle that includes a drying cycle (that will kill 99.98 percent of bacteria).
Signs to replace your sponge include:
- Triple S
- Sponge disintegration
- A month has passed since you last changed your sponge
Are you thoroughly disgusted? At least I didn’t go into detail about the filth that is the wooden utensil. Believe me, those are almost as bad as sponges.
I hope you all enjoyed this informational post and will proceed with caution when cleaning with a kitchen sponge! Spread the word, not the bacteria.
Until next time…