The rest of my vacation with Jase was wonderful.
- After Las Vegas we drove off to San Diego, where we grabbed a quick bite to eat and crashed at the Courtyard hotel.
- The next morning I dragged Jay to The Mission, which is one of my favorite places to eat in California. We had mimosas with our breakfast — what better way to kick-off an awesome day?
- The weather was perfect, so we drove over to Mission Bay and took a stroll on the beach. The nearby boardwalk also had an amusement park, but we didn’t have time to drop in. We had a very important appointment to make…
- We met up with Jay’s friend RJ at Black Anvil tattoo, where Jay and I got puzzle pieces tattooed on our left ribs. When put together they read, “Now all these tastes improve through the view that comes with you.” It’s a line from our wedding song, Sweet Avenue, by Jets to Brazil. After that we grabbed burritos at Pokez and made the drive back to Santa Barbara.
- In the morning we went off to Jeannine’s Restaurant with Pamela. If you are ever in the area, you seriously need to check this place out. I had the most amazing and decadent banana Kahlua French toast. The orange juice and cappuccino were also incredible. We all agreed it was a five star place.
- After breakfast we hit the Santa Barbara zoo. Pamela and I fed a giraffe, we saw all kinds of really cool animals, including Meerkat and penguins seen above! The weather was incredible, sunny and nearly 80 degrees. Sunburns in January are always fun ;)
- We took a tour of Sonos, where Mark works. It was such a cool office. The listening room is amazing. There is a measurement room that kills sound, which Pamela and I couldn’t stand being in. It completely messes with your hearing, makes you feel off balance, and a little bit claustrophobic. As you can imagine, Jay loved this part of the day. His audio nerd really came out.
- The rest of the afternoon was spent reading in the backyard, eating oranges off of the tree, and playing a little Skyrim. We went to Santa Barbara Shellfish Co. to finish off the trip. I love Alaskan King crab legs. So much. They’re a lot of work to eat, but totally worth it. Pamela and Mark had this gigantic spider crab, which was as incredible to look at as it was to eat. We packed up and headed back to LA after dinner since we had an early flight.
I already miss sunny, warm, lovely California and our family there. I started reading about Buddhism and I have a couple of really great books that I look forward to diving into. While Jay and I were on vacation, some things about our plans and our future changed — but more about that later. Time to unpack and get organized to go back to real life!